Donation and Gift Policy
Details on the types of materials the library can accept as donations, and what the library will do with donated materials and other gifts.
The library receives thousands of donations of print and media materials each year. Donated items that fill a need in the collection are added. However, most go directly to the book sale. We have to be selective because of storage limitations and the labor involved in processing & evaluating so many items.
Donations will be subject to the library's collection policy. An item that is not added to the collection may be donated to another institution, or it may be sold at a book sale to generate funds for Sioux Center Public Library services and programs.
We are happy to provide written acknowledgment for all gifts, but we do not provide appraisals for value.
- Books in good condition: The library accepts books published in the last 5 years in good to excellent condition. Books should not be musty, dirty, water-damaged,or have underlining/highlighting. Hardback books should have covers (dust jackets).
- Media materials (VHS, DVD, CD, audiocassettes, books on tape) in good condition.
- Many library users wish to make donations in the form of memorial books. These donations are subject to the Collections Policy.
Items We Cannot Accept
- The library cannot use the following materials: textbooks, magazines, encyclopedias, Reader's Digest condensed books, vinyl records, damaged or moldy materials, and materials with highlighting or handwriting (except author-signed books).
To Donate Items
Patrons wishing to donate items should contact the library before dropping them off to make sure the library currently has space to store the donation. The library asks that the donated items be delivered in small boxes or bags that can be easily lifted and carried. Please do not place donated materials in the book returns box.
Other kinds of donations are also appreciated. Potential donors should call the Library Director to find out if the donation would be acceptable.
- Gifts of money, real property, and/or stock will be accepted if conditions attached are acceptable to the board. Each gift will be considered on its individual merit.
- Personal property, art objects, portraits, antiques, and other museum objects will be accepted when considered to be a desirable addition to the library.
- Funds shall be allowed to accumulate in trust and agency accounts for major purchases authorized by the Library Board of Trustees.
- The library will not accept for deposit materials which are not outright gifts, unless a special contract for maintenance and use in the library is entered into between the library and the party retaining control of the material.
Donation guidelines adapted with permission from Waltham Public Library.
8/15/12: Approved by the Sioux Center Public Library Board