LibriVox: free public domain audiobooks
Listen to children's stories, poetry, books of the Bible, classics such as Little Women, A Christmas Carol, War of the Worlds, The Count of Monte Cristo, and much more! Audiobooks are available as mp3 files, including scheduled podcasts every week.
LibriVox is made possible by volunteers who offer to record one or more chapters of a book that is in the public domain. Through this effort, 1072 unabridged books and shorter works have been made available as audiobooks so far, with more being added to the catalog at a rate of 60-70 per month.
Subscribe to the LibriVox podcast to receive 3 installments per week of the latest book being read, plus an extra podcast of the week's poetry reading.
Search the LibriVox catalog and download individual chapters of a book or the entire book as a zip file.
For more information, visit their "How to Listen" page.
A sample of what's offered:
- A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens
- Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
- Anne of Green Gables series, by Lucy Maud Montgomery
- Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson
- The Railway Children, by E. Nesbit
- Around the World in 80 Days, Jules Verne
- War of the Worlds, H. G. Wells
- The Velveteen Rabbit, Margery Williams
- Great Big Treasury of Beatrix Potter
- Black Beauty, by Anna Sewell
- Various books of the Bible, American Standard version
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, by Frank L. Baum
- The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce
- Tarzan of the Apes, by Edgar Rice Burroughs
- Don Quixote, by Cervantes
- Robinson Crusoe, by Daniel Defoe
- Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain
- Dream Psychology, by Sigmund Freud
- Grimms' Fairy Tales
- Common Sense, by Thomas Paine
- Legend of Sleepy Hollow, by Washington Irving
- War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy
- Gulliver's Travels, by Jonathan Swift
- Poetry by Emily Dickinson, John Donne, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Tennyson, Thoreau, among others
- Various Sherlock Holmes stories, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- Various works of Shakespeare -- poetry and plays
And many other classic works, too numerous to mention!