Public Access Computers & WiFi
12 public computers with:
- Internet access (Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer)
- Windows XP
- Microsoft Office
- Roxio CD-burning software
- Printing to an HP LaserJet printer, at $0.15/ text page; $0.50/color page; $0.75/photo page.
6 of these computers are designated as internet gaming computers.
There is a 1-hour time limit for students under 18 (2 hours maximum per day).
These computers are available to all patrons (residents and non-residents of Sioux Center). Patrons younger than 18 must have a parent's signature in order to use internet-enabled computers. You must have your library card to checkout the use of a computer.
2 children's computers loaded with toddler-Kindergarten games
These computers are located in the children's area and are not connected to the internet or to the printers.
2 OPAC computers
These stations are designated for searching the library catalog (one sit-down stations near the adult paperback section and one laptop at the circulation counter).
Free WiFi access for your personal laptop
The library offers 6 WiFi access points that provide strong wireless coverage throughout the building.
Sioux Center Public Library Internet Access Policy
In accordance with the library’s Mission Statement, the Sioux Center Public Library provides access to the Internet. The library does not censor and has no control over the information accessed through the Internet, and cannot be held responsible for its content. The Internet is a global entity with a highly diverse user population and library patrons use it at their own risk.
Iowa law (Code of Iowa, Section 716A) prohibits damaging or destroying a computer or computer program, software, or system. Unauthorized access is also prohibited. Persons attempting such action can be prosecuted.
Not all sources on the Internet provide accurate, complete, or current information. Patrons need to be a good information consumer, questioning the validity of the information found. Patrons must have a signed Internet card on file at the circulation desk to use the Internet.
Library staff cannot provide in-depth training concerning internet access, computer jargon, or computer use. Staff may offer minimum searching suggestions and can answer some questions as time permits.
Have fun exploring the Internet but please remember that many times specific information needed is found in books, magazines, EbscoHost databases, etc.
PATRONS USING THE INTERNET MUST CONFORM TO THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES:
- Patrons are required to have an Internet/Library Card on file at the Circulation desk.
If under 18 or in High School the parent/guardian signature must be on the card. The parent/guardian must be present in the library to sign the card.
Cards can not be sent home with a child to be returned after being signed by the parent/guardian. The parent/guardian must come to the circulation desk with the child to sign the card.
- Patrons must have a valid Sioux Center Public Library Card to obtain access to the Internet. (Overdue material or a fine balance over $5.00 is evidence of an invalid card.)
- Patrons must check out the computer with their own Internet/library card to use the Internet. Cards are valid only for the patron to whom they have been issued.
Library cards with internet access are not transferable for Internet use, and attempts to do so can result in Internet Access being refused to both the card holder and the patron using another’s card.
- Patrons may check out a computer to use the Internet and stay unless someone else is waiting. If others are waiting, a 1 hour time limit will be imposed.
- Patrons using the internet computers should be knowledgeable in basic computer operation. Staff will provide computer assistance to patrons as time permits and if it does not interfere with their other duties.
- Children 3rd grade or 10 and under must be accompanied by a parent, grandparent, or guardian. Parents/guardians, NOT the library, are responsible for the Internet information selected or accessed by their children. Therefore the parent or guardian of children 3rd grade or 10 and under must be present in the library. Older siblings or friends may not act as a parent substitute.
- Only 1 patron may be on a computer at a time, unless the patron is a parent/guardian assisting a child. Two students working on a school project may use the computer together.
- Patrons may send and receive e-mail using the library computers as long as they have their own accounts through a provider of their choice.
- The library assumes no responsibility for files saved to the hard drive of the computer.
- Information can be printed at a charge of 15¢ per page. Photos are 75¢ per page. Copies can be picked up at the circulation desk.
1. To comply with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA), the library’s internet access is filtered to limit access to pornography and explicit content. Patrons viewing pornography will be asked to leave and may lose their internet access privileges for up to 3 months.
- Failure to comply with these guidelines can result in the loss of an Internet Access Card. The first offense will result in loss of privileges for the day and then for 1 week. The second offense will result in loss for a period of 90 days as determined by the librarian on the circulation desk at the time of the offense. The third offense will result in less for a period of 1 year as determined by the librarian on the circulation desk at the time of the offense. Serious and repeat offenders can be denied access to the library computers permanently.